/ Camper Guide / Africa / Insurance

Vehicle insurance for your motorhome holiday in South Africa and Namibia

The CDW (collission damage waiver) insurance protection for your vehicle is normally included in the daily rental rates. CDW insurance comes into play in the event of an accident, an act of vandalism or theft.

An excess always applies as part of the insurance policy, the size of which varies from rental company to rental company. The excess amount applies to each individual incident, not per rental.

Our rental company partners offer supplementary insurance options which enable you to reduce the level of the CDW insurance excess. Detailed information about these options can be found in the 'Important rental info' available in each of the rental company sections on our website.

In Southern Africa it is not compulsory for drivers to have vehicle or third-party insurance. It is often impossible to obtain payment from other drivers if an accident happens involving a third party where this person is at fault, not even through the legal system in South Africa, Namibia or the neighbouring countries. In the event of an accident with an uninsured driver or in if a third party damages the rental vehicle and flees the scene the renter is liable up the the maximum level of the excess.

NOTE: you should never admit fault if an accident occurs and do not offer to accept liability for any damage.


If you do not adhere to the rental conditions as stipulated in the rental agreement the insurance is null and void, e.g. dangerous driving, etc and if damage occurs as a result of other illegal activities involving the vehicle, e.g. drink-driving, etc.