/ Camper Guide / New Zealand / Insurance

Vehicle insurance for your motorhome holiday in New Zealand

The CDW insurance cover (CDW = Collission Damage Waiver) for your vehicle is included in the daily rental rates. The CDW covers you in the event of an accident, vandalism or theft of the vehicle and an excess applies.

The rental companies also offer you the chance to purchase an additional insurance option locally which reduces the excess (in some cases this supplement eliminates the excess entirely). Alternatively, you can purchase the 'all inclusive option' with us for all of our rental company partners which includes the excess reduction supplement. The CDW normally does not cover any damage to the interior, the roof, windscreen or the underbody of the vehicle (e.g. the axle, exhaust pipe, etc).

In New Zealand it is not compulsory for residents to have third-party insurance. If you have an accident with an uninsured driver or if a third party damages the rental vehicle but flees the scene you will be held liable up to the limit of the excess. The excess is payable for each incident that occurs and not per rental period. For further information regarding the additonal insurance options available please refer to the 'Important rental info' section provided in each page dedicated to our rental company partners on this website.


The insurance cover is null and void if damage is incurred as a result of illegal use of the vehicle (e.g. dangerous driving or drink driving, etc) or a breach of rental agreement you sign at pick-up time.