/ Camper Guide / Australia / Entry Requirements

Information about entering Australia

Entry Requirements

All visitors to Australia require a visa, which needs to be obtained prior to departure. Canadian, American and UK/European citizens (members of the European Economic Area) are among a list of approx. 30 countries whose citizens can obtain the visa in electronic form. This electronic visa is an entry permit that is valid for each port of entry in Australia, replacing the visa sticker or stamp that is othewise inserted in travellers' passports. 

The electronic visa is valid for a period of 12 months and allows a traveller to enter Australia as often as he/she desires within this time frame for up to 90 days at a time.

The process for obtaining this visa is very simple. Just click on the following link and you can request your visa in minutes: www.border.gov.au

We recommend that all children travelling to Australia have a normal travel passport for two reasons:

  1. Passport rules in many countries are constantly being reviewed and changed
  2. Every 'stopover' country has different rules regarding child identification

A standard passport, that is valid for at least 6 months after the date of return is the safest option for both adults and children.


Travellers are allowed to carry the following goods tax- and duty-free when entering Australia:

AU$900 worth of goods (including gifts) in total, not including alcohol and tobacco products. Travellers under 18 years of age have a limit of AU$ 450. For travellers aged 18 years or older: 2,250 ml alcohol (wine, beer and spirits, etc), 25 cigarettes or 25g cigars or other tobacco products are permitted. Goods that have been purchased duty free/tax free prior to arrival in Australia are counted as part of the duty free allowance.

For further information on Australian customs regulations please visit www.customs.gov.au